This is just a short page of notes I stumbled upon from my days as an elementary education major. Rather than entirely throw it away I typed it below.
How can you prepare students for independent work during reading and writing workshops?
- have independent reading every school day
- create an inviting environment for independent reading
- reading rugs, an old couch, a reading loft, big pillows, cozy reading corners, soft incandescent lighting from lamps
- providing choice affects motivation and can make students feel empowered and enthusiastic
- take anecdotal records regularly
- paired discussions, pair students with similar interests and copies of same book
- response logs – short entries title, number of pages read, brief remarks