Below is a random page of notes I found going through some papers. Rather than throwing it out I decided to post it. I really do not know the source. It is probably from a class on teaching reading I took years ago.
Problem Solving Unknown Words
When I come to a word I don’t know…
- I look at the picture.
- I think about the story.
- I look at how the word begins.
- I get my mouth ready to say the word.
- I think about a word I know that has the same sound in it.
- I see what I know in the word.
- I try a word and see if it makes sense, sounds right, and looks right.
- I go back and try again.
- Look at the picture.
- Does it make sense?
- Does it sound right?
- Look for chunks.
- Get your mouth ready.
- Does it look right?