- can be used in soap, lotion, candles, and massage oil recipes
- appreciate and use essential oils with care, they are labor intensive to make
- food grade essential oils can be used flavor tea, whipped cream and baked goods
- have been used for thousands of years to promote health and well-being
- smells are linked to memories and emotions
- list of essential oils for a collection
- Lavender (calming)
- Tea tree (natural antiseptic)
- lemon (citrus essential oils are invigorating)
- Carrier oils are vegetable oils used to dilute essential oils. They slow down the evaporation of essential oils and help them absorb into the skin. Common carrier oils include sweet almond, grapeseed, organic canola, safflower, sunflower and olive oil. Other carrier oils include apricot kernel, aloe vera, avocado, castor, flaxseed, jojoba, rice bran, safflower, and toasted sesame oil.
- Fixed oils are used in soap making and are solid at room temperature (except olive oil). Fix oils can be saponified with lye to for soap making and include coconut, olive and palm oil
- There is a Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO.org) and suppliers of palm oil can become members
- Some essential oils are toxic to pets, in a diffuser some essential oils can cause dizziness and even vomiting for pets, verify if the oil is safe to use around pets if applicable
DIY Scented Body Oil (from 2014 GloryBee Retail Catalog, naturalcrafts.glorybee.com)
- Choose fragrances and oil base
- Using a funnel, pour the base oil in a glass container 2/3 to 3/4 full. Does not have to be exact. Know how many ounces the container is.
- Add one drop of fragrance or essential oil for every ounce of base oil.
- Place the top on container and shake gently to mix and blend the oil. Store the container in a dark, cool place. Allow mixture to rest for one hour before using.
- Gently shake your body oil each time before using.
Sugar Scrub From Glory Bee (NaturalCrafts.GloryBee.com Back of a 2014 GloryBee catalog)
The ingredients in this recipe help exfoliate the skin, balance its oil production, and keep it feeling fresh, hydrated and soft. It’s also fun to make! Just follow the instructions below and don’t be afraid to use your hands!!
- 2 cups Demerara Sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp sweet almond oil
- 5-10 drops Fragrance or essential oil
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and honey well. Saturate with sweet almond oil to your preference and mix again. Add the fragrance or essential oil, mix again. Add dried herbs if desired and then store in clean, airtight container.
- To use the sugar scrub, gently massage in circular motions over your entire body…but not your face. Wash off in the shower or tub.
- Substitutions and Additions
- Add a tablespoon of aloe vera in the sugar scrub for a soft, smooth finish for your skin.
- Substitute the sweet almond oil for coconut oil or olive oil.
- Can use brown sugar or sea salt in place of demerara sugar.
Bath Salt Recipe – to find one in the future
- Beeswax makes an unusually hard bar of soap and shampoo, but works well for lip balms and salves. Thus, lip balms and salves and 100% beeswax candles are favorite handcrafted products for beekeepers.
- Beeswax could be used in some shampoo bars as you lather the bar in your hands first and then gently apply it to the hair and scalp
- Add herbs, spices, botanicals like lavendar flower to soaps for exfoliation, aroma, and appearance. Botanicals include calendula flower, strawberry seeds, raspberry seeds and fruit powder, rosebuds, cranberry seeds, poppy seeds, blueberry fruit fiber.
- Xantham Gum Powder can be used as a help thicken bath gels and cosmetics and is food grade.
- Vitamin E oil added to soaps and cosmetics has anti-oxidant properties.
- Titanium Dioxide can be added to soap as a whitening agent
- to make lotion use flower waters or hydrosols (can be purchased including rose and lavender). Water in lotion recipes can be substituted with hydrosols or with a homemade infused water of boiling your favorite herb or tea.
- Germaben II is used as a preservative in lotions.
- Rosemary extract and vitamin E oil are sometimes used to prolong self life due to their antioxidant properties and are not true preservatives.
- GloryBee 2014 Retail Catalog NaturalCrafts.GloryBee.com